(Above left) Lincoln Field, Brown's first formal athletic area, was laid out behind Sayles Hall in 1880. (Above right) Wendell R. Erickson 1919 Athletic Complex in 2008.
This is a four-part series, written by Peter Mackie '59, Sports Archivist in the Edward North Robinson 1896 Collection of Brown Athletics, that details the evolution of Brown's athletic facilities, from the days of the earliest intercollegiate competition to the facilities currently in use. Photographic images courtesy of the Edward North Robinson 1896 Collection of Brown Athletics, Brown University Archives.
Read the complete history of Brown's athletic facilities:
The Dexter Asylum (above) was built in 1828 to support Providence's poor.
By Sophia Li
Story reprinted with permission from the February 27, 2009 Brown Daily Herald.