PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Monica Elvin (Oakland, Calif.) was named Most Valuable Player to headline Brown women's hockey's annual team awards, announced by head coach Bob Kenneally '90 on Wednesday night at the program's banquet.
Freshman Sena Hanson (New Brighton, Minn.) was selected for the Alli McMillan Unsung Hero Award while juniors Katie Swanstrom (Ham Lake, Minn.) and Samantha Swanstrom (Ham Lake, Minn.) were chosen as the squad's Most Improved Players. Junior Cynthia Kyin (Skokie, Ill.) took home the Academic Excellence Award.
Sophomore Abby Niewchas (Cochrane, Alberta) was crowned the Alison Rolandelli Best Teammate. Fellow sophomore defender Leah Olson (East Harwich, Mass.) was awarded the Tara Mounsey Best Defenseman honor.
Junior Sam Donovan (New Brighton, Minn.) and sophomore Bridget Carey (Weymouth, Mass.) rounded out the awards, sharing the honors for the Chelsea McMillan Award for Pride and Perseverance.
All four seniors in Elvin, Erin Conway (Jackson, Mich.), Catherine LeBoeuf (Dieppe. New Brunswick) and Maddie Woo (Plymouth Minn.) were also recognized for their contributions to the team over the past four years.
To close the banquet, the 2017-18 captains were announced. Kyin will don the "C" next year as the squad's lone captain, while Donovan, Carey and Niewchas were named assistant captains.
Team Most Valuable Player: Monica Elvin
- Named Second Team All-Ivy
- Selected ECAC Goaltender of the Week on Jan. 24 and Feb. 21
- Made 30 or more saves in 16 games, and 40 or more saves four times
Alli McMillan Unsung Hero Award: Sena Hanson
- Led freshmen in scoring and ranked second on the team with 17 points (5G, 12A)
- Her 12 assists tied the team high on the season
- Named ECAC Rookie of the Week on Jan. 10 and Feb. 21
Most Improved Player Award: Katie and Samantha Swanstrom
- Registered a career-high two points at Rensselaer (1G, 1A)
- Tallied an assist on the game-winning goal in a 4-3 victory at Union on Jan. 7
- Appeared in 25 games on the season
- Appeared in all 29 games on the season, recording 10 points (5G, 5A)
- Registered a career-high two assists against Sacred Heart on Oct. 22
- Recorded the game-winning score in a 3-1 win at Harvard on Feb. 18
Alison Rolandelli Best Teammate Award: Abby Niewchas
- Appeared in 28 games on the season, contributing six points (1G, 5A)
- Assisted the game-winning goal in a 3-1 victory at Harvard on Feb. 18
- Blocked a team-high 51 shots
Tara Mounsey Best Defenseman Award: Leah Olson
- Appeared in all 29 games for the Bears, leading all defenders in scoring with 11 points (4G, 7A)
- Registered a multi-point game (1G, 1A) in a 3-1 win against Union on Nov. 4
- Had 43 blocked shots on the season
- Appeared in all 29 games for the Bears, ranking third on the team in scoring with 13 points (6G, 7A)
- Recorded a career-high two points twice on the season
- Assisted the game-winning goal of a 1-0 victory over Dartmouth on Jan. 21
- Appeared in all of the Bears' 29 games, leading the squad in goals (9), assists (12) and points (21)
- Recorded her second career hat trick against Sacred Heart on Oct. 22
- Tallied four multi-point games over the year
Academic Excellence Award: Cynthia Kyin
- Appeared in 28 games on the season with six points (1G, 5A)
- Recorded two assists against Sacred Heart on Oct. 21
- Blocked 36 shots on the year